Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A Father's Love

Titus had surgery this yesterday morning and he is being released this morning to come home. Praise the Lord! They had told us it would only be one night in the hospital, but generally with Titus, an overnight procedure turns into a week-long stay. We are thrilled beyond words that he can come home today. He is doing fantastic and had a good night last night.

The doctors performed several procedures on him yesterday. Dr. Peters, the ENT, cleaned out his ears, drained all the fluid, put in tubes, and then the did the ABR to test his hearing. The results from the ABR were consistent with the test results back in December - he has profound hearing loss in both ears.

Dr. Genecov, the cranio-facial surgeon, then removed the jaw distraction devices (and of course, we asked to keep them!). He was pleased with his jaw and bone growth. There was a little bit of infection that had set in on one side of his jaw, so he cleaned that up. But Dr. Genecov mentioned that his lungs were still a bit stiff - and stated the RSV really did a number on his lungs - so we will be keeping him on oxygen when we come home.

It was a bit surreal to walk back into the PICU after spending 33 days here in Jan/Feb. But, it was also comforting to know most of the nurses, respiratory therapists, physician assistants, and doctors. They have all been stopping by to check on Titus - and all comment on how much he's grown and how good he looks. We are so thankful for the caring medical staff here at Medical City and their passion/concern for Titus.

When Becky and I were married, Becky states she learned about a love of choice - and everyday she made the choice to love me. I'm thankful that she does - and that God has done the same. God's mercies are new every morning, and He continues to love me each day.

When Aidan, our oldest, we born 11 years ago, I learned Father's love - a love that was so overpowering for such a tiny, helpless infant. And as he has grown, I've learned how that father's love means that I discipline and train my son so that he will grow into the man that he is suppose to be. And, the same goes with God, He disciplines the son that He loves.

When we adopted Tucker and Cade, I learned the love of an adoptive father - to love a child not of my blood, but of my heart; to love a child that didn't immediately love me back; to love a child that was chosen to be part of my family. And, as I stood in front of the judge the day we finalized their adoption, and the judge asked me "will you love this child forever - because what you are doing is irrevocable", I realized that yes, I will love this child forever - and the same goes with God's love. His love for me is irrevocable and He promises to love me forever.

And now, with Titus, a child born with so many defects, I've learned a love that overlooks the faults and loves the child. When we were in the NICU back in January, one of the nurses described the babies as "broken babies". I didn't care for the term much at first, but since have come to embrace it. Because I've learned that we are all broken. We all have faults, we all have issues, we all have handicaps that need constant care, attention, and sometimes intensive surgery and therapy. My love for Titus over looks the defects, the brokenness, the handicaps. I see my son, my little treasure in a jar of clay - so fragile, and yet so beautiful. And, I realize that God sees me the same way - His love for me overlooks my faults and He provides healing in only the way that He can.

As it says in 2 Cor. 4 "But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. . . Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

Please pray for these things this week.
  • Continued recovery from surgery, especially his breathing so that we can wean him off of oxygen
  • Continued strength and growth before his next surgery on April 14
  • Peace and Calm for Aidan, Noah, Tucker, and Cade as they stay with friends and family while Titus is recouping
  • Rest for Paul & Becky

No comments: