Dr. Feldman noticed significant nerve damage in his left eye and does not give much hope that Titus will have much vision out of the eye. There is damage in his right eye also, but not as much. As for now, it's really too early to know the extent or depth of damage to his eyes, but we have been somewhat preparing ourselves for this message. We can tell that Titus responds to light, but he does not track objects with his eyes and his pupils don't seem to dilate.
I'll be honest - it's a bit devasting to know your child can't hear, and now to learn there's a very strong possibility that he can't see. But I know that none of this takes God by surprise. As Becky was speaking at her Mom's Group this past week, she shared how God specifically chose her to be Titus' mom knowing all the special needs that he would have. And raising a child with special needs takes time, it takes effort, and frankly it's tiring. But it's the path God has chosen for us and for Titus. And, as my title states, my arms are too short to box with God.
It's all about acceptance and submission. I've been teaching the book of Acts on Sunday morning - and a few weeks ago, as our class was discussing the conversion of Saul, I brought up the point that the Bible always tells us to accept Jesus as Lord. It does not state to accept Him as saviour. See the difference is, if Jesus is the Lord of my life, then He is my master, He is in control, He knows and shapes my life, and I must be submissive to him. Accepting Jesus as Lord puts me under his submission and control. But in our world today, we just want to accept Him as Saviour. But what does that mean - that we are saved from Hell. Jesus certainly does that, but if Jesus is just my Saviour (providing my life insurance) but never my Lord, then I'm going about my way, living my life for myself relying on His Saving Grace, but never submitting to His Lordship. Jesus has to be My Lord AND My Saviour. But, in Paul's numerous letters, he never states to confess Jesus as Saviour, but Jesus as Lord. It's why Paul wrote in Phillippians "every knee shall bow, and every tongue shall confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father..." (Phil 2:10-11).
So, I claim Matthew 11:28-29 today "Come unto me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am meek and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls..." I am tired, I am weary, but I submit to the yoke and am learning to find rest in Jesus, my Lord.
Please pray specifically for these matters:
- Healing and recovery for Titus - the doctor expects to release him to go home tomorrow (Tuesday, April 15)
- Rest for Becky and her mom who are at the hospital with Titus & safety while driving home from Houston
- Titus is still on oxygen - the pulmonologist is concerned that he's not been showing much improvement. He sent us to the cardiologist last week who did rule out any heart issues. And, I might add, how awesome is God who works out the fine details allowing us to get into a pediatriac cardiologist with less than a days notice - that just does NOT happen with these types of specialists! Please pray for continued strengthening and healing in Titus lungs so that we can wean him off of oxygen.
- Titus vision - we may not know the extent of the damage for months, but we are praying that Titus will have vision in his right eye.
- Ministry opportunities - as a family, our lives are being opened up to a whole new team of therapists and specialists. We have ECI in our home several times a week assisting with therapy, along with numerous weekly doctor's appointments. Each person we come in contact with is an opportunity to minister to them and show them God's love - even as a family. Most are amazed when they walk in, see 2 boys working on home school, see 2 3-yr olds doing blanket time, and the only thing Becky is having to restrain is the dog (who can be a little overprotective at times). With all that is going on, we still have a peaceful household (ok - it can get a little loud with 5 boys - but it is a joyful noise!)
- Medicaid - we have Medicaid coverage from Dec 1, 2007 through Feb. 29, 2008. But this doesn't cover the first 2 weeks Titus was born and in the hospital. We have applied for retroactive coverage - this is mainly for assistance on one bill, but the bill is $1500 and we would love to have some Medicaid coverage on it. At the same time, we are in the midst of filling out other applications for continued coverage. Dealing with all the forms and phone calls can be a full-time job (I spent 45 minutes today being sent to 4 different phone numbers and people before I finallly found someone who could answer my question). There are times I think it would be easier to hang up and just pay the bills, but then I get the bills and decide that I can sit on hold for another 45 minutes.
- Tranforming Your World - our church has an awesome ministry opportunity on Sunday, April 27. The church is leaving the building and getting out in the community (ain't that an awesome idea!). Our class is going to take food to the NICU and PICU at Medical City Dallas and pray with families in the waiting room. The director of the class I teach (Scott & Jill Dillashaw) have spent as much time at Medical City with their children as we have with Titus - and we thought it would be an awesome opportunity to give back to other families who are going through what we have been through. Please pray that God will use that morning to minister to families who are going through some hard times with their children. While we are spending time with the parents, our kids are going to be making cards for the kids in the hospital.
One last thought - so many of you come up (or write or call) and let us know that your children continue to pray for Titus everyday. Please tell your children how thankful we are for them and that God hears their prayers and He is answering them in a mighty way. I know some kids may think when they hear about today's report that God may not be hearing their prayers - but assure them that He is. We serve a Mighty God who is in Control!