Friday, August 22, 2008

Hearing Aids

Titus received his hearing aids yesterday. This will probably bring his hearing up from profoundly deaf to severely deaf, but will stimulate his hearing for the time leading up to the cochlear implants. Titus can tell a difference - he is really looking around for the noise and was even imitating some sounds yesterday. What a thrill it is to see this. Now, keeping them in will be a challenge - we do have both of them tethered together on string that clips to his clothing, but the aid has to make a good seal in his ear - and if not, they squeal.

Titus also had a follow-up visit with the pulmonologist yesterday about his sleep test. It appears that Titus is waking up multiple times in the night and not going into deep REM sleep for long periods of time. Since this could affect his growth/development, they are looking at a new breathing machine at night that will assist his sleep.

After that dr. visit, Titus had a follow-up appointment with the ENT for a genetic test - and as usual, they decided to do blood work instead of a cheek swab, so Becky will be taking Titus down to Children's Hospital for the blood work today. And, the doctor has a little concern about the back of Titus head (he's developed a little bit of a ridge) so we are going back to the neurosurgeon to make sure his skull is fusing correctly.

At the same time, Cade had a visit with the ENT. Cade lost his hearing in his right ear after he was born. Cade spent several weeks in the hospital in Korea with CMV when he was a few months old. We want to make sure his hearing is continuing to remain strong in his left ear and there is no more damage or continuing loss in his right ear. Cade did great on his sound test and they are going to look at a hearing aid for his one ear - along with doing a MRI to better define the reason for losing his hearing after he was born (The ENT is not convicned Cade had CMV).

There was a time if I had heard all that information in one day, I would have been overwhelmed. But, having 3 doctors visits (plus a therapy visit that I didn't mention) in one day, getting news about additional therapy, additional treatments, etc is just par for the course. As I was driving home last night after work, I realized what an incredible journey this is. It's not one we were expecting, but one that is teaching us so much about God's provision, God's plan, and faith. And the old gospel song came to me:

Why should I feel discouraged?
Why should the shadows come?
Why should my heart be lonely
And long for heaven and home?
When Jesus is my portion
My constant friend is He
His eye is on the Sparrow and I know he watches me.

"Let not your heart be troubled"
His tender word I hear
And resting on his goodness
I lose my doubts and fears.
Though by the path he leadeth
But one step I may see
His eye is on the Sparrow and I know he watches me.

I sing because I'm happy.
I sing because I'm free.
His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

No comments: