Monday, December 29, 2008

3 Words

15 years ago, I said 3 words that changed my life.

"I Love You"

And the person I said them to knew that the next words would be:

"Will You Marry Me?"

As I was growing up, I had a sweet Bible teacher during my teenage years. Her name was Mrs. Jones. She grew up in Syria, had come to the US as a teenager, had attended Moody Bible Institute, then married Mr. Jones and moved to South Texas to become a farmer's wife. Mrs. Jones drilled into us as teenagers to never tell a girl you loved her unless you can follow it up with "will you marry me?" She told us this would protect our hearts and keep us from ever leading a girl on about our intentions. She taught me many things about the Bible, but those words I never forgot and made a deep impression on me.

So, on that December night, in front of both of our parents and family, I got down on one knee and told the most beautiful girl in the world that I loved her, wanted to spend the rest of my life with her, wanted her to marry me and be the mother of my children (we never knew it would be this many). And, (after she squealed), she said "YES!"

So, 15 years, 5 boys, and 7 dogs later, I still want to say to the most beautiful girl in the world,

"I love you!"

P

2 comments:

NanaBlue said...

I remember that time and how very happy Becky was (and still is)! Congratulations to you both. I was so thrilled to receive your Christmas card with the link to your blog!!! Your family is beautiful and little Titus is doing so wonderful!!!

Love you all!!!! Hugs and prayers!!!

Unknown said...

hi Paul & Becky-
i just told Everett the advice from your ss teacher--unless you can follow it up with "will you marry me?"...
thanks for sharing this- it is a advice i will now be giving to my boys!