Friday, December 19, 2008

I Am Second

Life can be crazy . . .
Life can be busy . . .
Life can be scary . . .

But, Life can be good.

When I reflect back on the past year, I don't think there is anyway I could have survived without knowing that I am second. There were days I only wanted to think about me, take care of me, satisfy me. And, honestly, there were days I did. But circumstances kept putting me back in my place and on my knees.

Let's face it, being second takes work. It's hard putting God first. My personal nature would much rather take that spot.

But, it is amazing how God has a way to put all things in perspective and make you realize that the best place for me to be is second. Second to a little baby in a manger, Second to Holy of Holies, Second to the Creator, Second to the "I AM".

Last night, Titus was a little fussy around 1am. And, I couldn't sleep, so I went in his room and scooped him up and settled down into his rocking chair. I wrapped him up in his blanket, and kissed his forehead. Titus reached his hand out and stroked my arm - knowing by touch it was his father. He then grabbed my finger and went to sleep . . . a peaceful, deep sleep. And I thought, that's being second. Submitting to the touch of his father, wrapping his tiny hands around his father's finger, and resting . . . knowing that it was the safest, warmest, happiest place he could be.

I need to do the same . . . submitting to the Father's embrace.

If you live in Dallas, I'm sure you have seen the bill boards with the words "I Am Second". A friend of ours has developed this incredible website - http://www.iamsecond.com/. I encourage you to check it out.

And live your life striving for second.

In 2nd Place,
Paul

No comments: