Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Spammed

Let me start off with, it's been a very busy week. Becky has a sinus infection, I have a hacky cough, and my work is very intense for the next few weeks, plus I'm working to lose a few pounds prior to surgery and stopped drinking diet cokes (my head is splitting at the moment). To put it nicely, I'm cranky.

Now that I've set the tone, you can see my reaction as the phone rings last night from a friend in Houston informing me of spam emails that have been sent out from my email box advertising a certain pharmaceutical which I do NOT take.

I logged onto email, changed my password, ran my virus scan and performed several other operations, all the while receiving emails from various friends (some who I have not talked/emailed with in YEARS) asking about said inappropriate link in an email that I sent to them. So, I spent the rest of my time apologizing over and over again.

Had it been just my contacts in my email it wouldn't have been to broad, but I happen to have saved in my contacts the emails for several yahoo-groups that I am a member of - including my entire Sunday School class and 1/2 the church population I believe.

And the ironic thing is what I WAS doing yesterday. Last year, I (along with a co-hort - Hank O) wrote a workshop on Training Your Children on Technology or as I liked to call it 'Raising Daniels in a Technological Babylon'. I am updating the workshop to deliver again this summer, and yesterday during my lunch break, was all over the internet doing searches on security, facebook, spam, virus, etc. Apparently, I hit on something that wormed it's way in (but trust me, I was NOT searching about abovementioned pharmaceuticals).

In the event you received an email from me with nothing in the Title line and just a link - please delete and do not open. And please accept my apologies. I've been red-faced all day and heard more than enough jokes about little blue pills.

1 comment:

rafalkner said...

I had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago. If you have a GMail account, hackers are exploiting the connection with your mobile device. I changed my password and haven't had any problems since.

I'm Nora Callaway's granddaughter, by the way. I'm a regular reader.

Take care!