Thursday, September 16, 2010

80's on 8

My "man-van" has satellite radio. When the free subscription to satellite radio ran out, I let the subscription expire. This past summer, I received a great, discounted offer to turn it back on, and since the van is paid off and I will be driving it for awhile, I decided to treat myself and renew my subscription.

I will state that one of the nice things about the van is that the stereo is pretty good - and with all the extra empty space in the back, the bass can really boom and echo. There's many a day I miss a cell phone call in the car because I have the radio turned up pretty high.

A few weeks ago, I had to pick up Aidan at church after a youth activity. As I drove across town, I had the radio turned up high on the "80's on 8" channel. Yes, that dates me - but it brings back a LOT of college and early single day memories from the 1980's.

As I pull in the church parking lot, many of the youth are in the parking lot milling around or waiting to be picked up. I drove right up to where Aidan was, music cranked high, and windows down - thinking I was a rather cool dad with my thumping radio.

Aidan quickly got in the car, turned down the radio, and gave me a look, and with that disapproving voice said "DAD!"

At that point, I looked down and saw the song that was playing ever so loudly as I pulled into the parking lot. Let's just say it was a certain Madonna song about her comparison to a young innocent, unmarried girl - enough said.

I sheepishly stated, "I'm sorry".

And Aidan sighed, "That was SO embarrassing!"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is way too funny!

Tamara said...

That IS pretty funny! I love my XM. I haven't listened to Tulsa radio in YEARS. 80's on 8 also has the original VJ's from MTV (back when music was the key ingredient, not today's xxx). Alan Hunter, Mark Goodman, Martha Quinn, Nina Blackwood!