Friday, September 17, 2010

Why Titus had Breathing Problems

Titus is doing much better - still a bit of congestion and very low-grade fever off and on, but his breathing has improved.

And we think we know why. In the house, we have a large liquid oxygen canister. It is refilled every week, but can usually last 2-3 weeks if we needed it to. We have a 50 ft. cord attached to the container which allows us to take titus all over the first-floor of the house without moving the canister (very heavy - even on wheels).

Wednesday night, after Becky and Jody had left for the ER, I coiled up the oxygen tubing so that it wasn't on the floor to be trampled on by dogs/kids. As I was coiling it up, I noticed a few places that were rough, possible indicating a puncture/tear, but as tired as I was, didn't think much about it till yesterday.

Yesterday, I was caring for Titus and his SATs were low again, and even after turning up the oxygen, they were not improving. And that's when I remembered about the rough places on the cord. As soon as we replaced the cord, it was amazing how his SATs jumped up. Titus had a great night - going to bed at 7:30pm and sleeping till 8pm and his alarm only went off twice last night (we consider that a GREAT night). Which also meant that Becky and I had a great night of sleep.

Thanks again for the prayers!

No comments: