Monday, April 2, 2012

Dancing With The Amateurs

I can't stand 'Dancing With The Stars'. I know that may hinder my credibility and popularity with a certain demographic, but I just never got the gist of this show. To me, it surpasses cheesy - the "celebrities", the music, the dancing, and the judges - it's just all a bit too much for me.

And, I'm not sure why tonight my thoughts are so wrapped up about a show that I really can't sit through.

But after some contemplation, I realized what it is that captivates me. It's the work and determination that people put into it. It's not just that they are vying for a mirrored, disco-ball trophy, but it's the work effort they put into doing something that they may not be comfortable doing. And you combine that with a television audience, blunt judges, and outrageous costumes, and I have to realize, it takes a lot of chutzpah to get out there and do what they are doing.

And some of them realize they can actually dance (Urkel . . . who knew?). And some realize they you may be an animal and champion on the tennis court, but that doesn't translate to grace and rhythm on the dance floor (sorry Martina). But either way, everyone is teamed up with an expert and they are honestly working hard to dance, entertain, and hopefully, not have a wardrobe malfunction. And when the season is over, all of them can say one thing - they have improved their confidence and ability to dance.

And here's the crazy thought - evangelism is a lot like Dancing with the Stars. If you really want to learn how to witness, you need to team up with an expert who knows what they are doing and then get out there and do it. It may feel uncomfortable, it may not feel natural, it may feel like you are stumbling all over yourself but when teamed up with a partner who can assist you, pray for you, give you the words to say, you can learn to do it.

I saw this in Honduras a couple weeks back. I have written that many in my group had stated they were fearful of being bold in their witness. And, as God would have it, we were in a church that planned on us witnessing everyday. We had the chance to witness while going door-to-door, in the park, in the school, even while picking up trash on the side of the road, playing soccer. Everywhere we went, we had the opportunity to share the gospel.

We were blessed with an incredible translator, Jose, who not only translated, but encouraged, re-phrased, coached, and led the way in teaching each of them what to say, how to say it, and how to answer their questions. And one of the high school seniors, Dillon, (who ended up being our second translator) also led the way by coaching and encouraging each of the other students in sharing their faith. By the end of the week, each of the teenagers were sharing their gospel with an ease and fervor that came from practice and repetition. But they each learned how to share their story in their own comfortable way and style and they did so with a confidence that exceeded their years. And more importantly, they learned that the only part they were responsible for in evangelism was being obedient to share their witness - and then let God do the rest - even if the end result may not be seen for years to come.

Isaiah 50:4-9 (in the Message version) states "The Master, God, has given me a well-taught tongue, So I know how to encourage tired people. He wakes me up in the morning, Wakes me up, opens my ears to listen as one ready to take orders. The Master, God, opened my ears, and I didn't go back to sleep, didn't pull the covers back over my head. I followed orders, stood there and took it while they beat me, held steady while they pulled out my beard, Didn't dodge their insults, faced them as they spit in my face. And the Master, God, stays right there and helps me, so I'm not disgraced. Therefore I set my face like flint, confident that I'll never regret this. My champion is right here. Let's take our stand together!"

So tonight, my prayer is that I will dance with the Master, encourage tired people, follow orders, and speak the words that God has given me to speak and tell a world about Jesus. I still have a lot to learn about sharing my faith but I do know this - as awkward or uncomfortable as I feel today, I won't feel that way the next time or the time after that. I know if I practice and give my two left feet over to the Master, he will lead me through a delicate and beautiful dance. And regardless of what anyone has to say when the dance is over, I will have danced.

P.S Happy Birthday Mom! (and I know you love Dancing with the Stars) Your 75 years on this earth have been a blessing. You are a wonderful mom, wife, grandmother, and friend - and your life and story has been an encouragement to many. And with your new pacemaker, you can dance all night long.




No comments: