Tuesday, March 19, 2013

And We're Back


Titus was released from Medical City last Thursday. The virus he had contracted just had to run it’s course and by Thursday of last week, he was back to a point where he could go home. This was a long 8 days in the “spa” – especially while Aidan, Noah and I were in Germany.
Monday morning, Becky and the boys left early to drive to Houston for Titus’ pediatric ophthalmologist evaluation under anesthetic. Titus is evaluated every 6 months due to the congenital glaucoma he was born with. He went back to the OR around 1pm and they quickly determined that one of the tubes in one of the ports was partially out and irritating his eye. These were installed back when he was one, but the tube has worked its way out since the last 6 month visit. They were able to remove the tube with a small incision – and he was back in his mom’s arms in no time.  It will take a few days to completely heal and he will stay in Houston before they travel back to Dallas.

Aidan, Noah and I traveled back from Berlin, Germany last Friday from our AWOL mission trip. I will write more about the trip when I have some time to concentrate without the jet lag. The trip was amazing (a little cold and snowy), but life-changing. Aidan was in Hamburg, Noah was in central Berlin, and I was in Zeesen – a suburb of Berlin – and a part of the city that would have previously been considered the DDR – East Germany.

I will say the highlight of the trip was they day we spent at a refugee camp. Spending the morning with children from Russia, Afghanistan, Iran, Kenya, and other nations was full of fun and laughter. Many languages were represented – but we learned that “Duck, Duck, Goose” translates easily – and even singing “Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes” can be followed. (Although, I do think they were all paying rapt attention to see if Mr. Paul could actually touch his toes). The church had planned a meal for us that afternoon with several of the refugees who shared their story. What was meant to be a small sharing time ended up being a 2 ½ hour worship service with songs and prayers in English, German, Farsi, and Swahili. Our views of freedom of religion, freedom of speech, and freedom of choice were forever changed by hearing the stories of courage. I was truly humbled at how I have taken our freedoms for granted when I see men and women who have risked their life for the freedom and privilege to worship God. I have posted pictures of my trip on Facebook – so you can look there to see all the pictures.

And, as I mentioned in my last post, I had received a job offer – so it has been great to come back to Dallas and start a full-time permanent position as the Sr. Director of HR at a local company. And when I say local, my new commute to work is less than 5 minutes from the house. I do believe I have been in a daze the last few days (and some of it is due to the jet lag), but the new company is everything I was looking for in a job (and again, I’m truly thankful and grateful).

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Praying for your family and Titus this morning. Haven't seen a post in a while. Hope life is just keeping you busy.

With Hope,
Cheryl

Cheryl said...

Praying for your family and Titus this morning. Haven't seen a post in a while. Hope life is just keeping you busy.

With Hope,
Cheryl