Wednesday, December 5, 2007

3 Weeks Old

Titus is 3 weeks old today. We had thought he might be able to come home tomorrow, but the doctors decided to keep him a few more days to observe his breathing. Although his breathing is stable, he still takes a few “dips” during the day. Even though he self-corrects quickly, they want to be absolutely sure they release him to go home at the right time. As you can imagine, we experienced some temporary disappointment, but we agree with the doctors wholeheartedly.

Titus has adjusted beautifully to the feeding tube and is up to full feedings and putting on weight. Last Saturday, Titus started sucking on a pacifier – this was a huge milestone for him since he has not had the sucking reflex before.

As long-winded as I can be in my emails, I do want to share this. Titus has been a miracle from the beginning. As you know, it’s been over 9 years since we had a biological child. During those 9 years, we experienced multiple losses, infertility treatments, and the joy of adopting Tucker and Cade from South Korea . In Mar. 07, we had completed the application process to adopt a girl from China when we found out we were pregnant. Our pregnancy put the adoption on hold. We were very nervous those first few months of the pregnancy. Each doctor’s appointment and sonogram were approached with apprehension during the first and second trimester. And yet, each time we saw a strong heartbeat, a growing child, a beautiful life being formed.

One night, early in the pregnancy, we were watching “Facing the Giants”. There is a line in the movie that states (and I’m paraphrasing) “God can, just because He’s God”. Becky and I looked at each other and knew this child was our miracle – just because God is God. Not because of anything we have done, but just because He is still in the miracle business. And, along with realizing that God CAN is the humbling reality that God does not need my help, my advice, or my opinions to accomplish His plan – He needs my obedience.

For me this past week, the verses that have been on constant rewind in my head are:
“BE STILL, and Know that I am God,” Psalm 46: 10
“The Lord will fight for you, you need only to BE STILL.” Exodus 14:14

It’s hard to be still, but I realize that I can’t be a light in this world if I’m running around. If you think about it, what happens if you light a candle and start walking around? The candle will go out. A candle burns brightest when we are still. Sure, I can put a globe around my candle and let it shine while I race around, but isn’t that like putting it under a bushel? When I’m running around, do people see my activity or my light? I have to BE STILL, know that God CAN, and let that light shine.

Please pray specifically for these items:


  • Titus’ breathing will be stable and strong

  • Dr. Genocov (the cranio-facial surgeon) will evaluate Titus and move up his jaw distraction surgery. This will resolve the breathing issues he is having.

  • Aidan and Noah are participating in Christmas Journey this week. They are so excited to be part of this ministry to the community. Last Saturday, Aidan made his own flyers for Christmas Journey and then hand delivered them to our entire street. We are so proud of the young men they are becoming.

  • Cade has an ear infection that was detected today. He is starting antibiotics tonight.

  • And lastly, strength and endurance for Becky and I. We are so thankful for the encouragement and support, but our bodies are running down a bit with shuttling back and forth to the hospital, taking care of kids, and me going to work.

No comments: