Monday, September 8, 2008

4 Years and 3 Sons Ago


4 Years and 3 sons ago, we were anxiously awaiting a referral of a Korean baby boy from our adoption agency. I had been laid off from my job that summer and God provided an incredible contract job opportunity in downtown Dallas that summer. The contract job not only paid our living expenses, but also paid for all our adoption costs - it was an incredible blessing to us of God's provision.

On the last day of the contract job, the people I worked with had gone out to dinner to thank me for the work. While sitting on the balcony of the Iron Cactus eating chips and salsa, my cell phone rang.

"We got a referral" were the first words I heard.

The world stopped at that moment as I heard Becky tell me the details about a little 6 week old baby boy who had been born at 34 weeks and weighed 4 1/2 pounds. He was perfect in every detail - and we knew before we ever saw a picture of him that he was our son. I went back to the office to retrieve all the referral paperwork and then catch the train home.

I must have read the referral paperwork a dozen times on the train. My heart broke for the birth mother as I read the circumstances, but yet, knew she had made the right decision. And we rejoiced that she choose life - not only for this baby but this life was to be our son. A new life for us after years of waiting, years of loss, years of infertility.

So, today, 4 years and 3 sons later, I look back and remember the day we found out about Tucker Paul Jin.

To my precious Tucker Toes - you are forever mine. We love you dearly.

No comments: