Friday, September 12, 2008

God Made Me Fast

Ever since the Olympics, Tucker loves to race people on the sidewalk. His big brothers are incredibly accomodating for their little brother. So, they all get in position, Tucker says "ready, set, go" and takes off. And, of course, they let him win.

After racing the other day, Tucker comes up to me and says, "God made me fast. But Poor Noah, God made him slow". We fell out of the chair laughing.

But it reminded me of the comment in the 80's movie "Chariots of Fire". Now, I must admit, I'm the only person I know who fell asleep watching the movie, but there is an incredible line in the movie spoken by the character Eric Liddell - a committed Christian and missionary.

"God made me fast, and when I run, I feel His pleasure".

We all know the feeling of passion, completion, and joy we experience when we are doing the one thing we love most. It really doesn't matter what the talent or act is, but we are all blessed with gifts from God to utilize for His worship. And when we do, we can experience and feel the pleasure of God.

And I have to reflect, am I experiencing the pleasure and presence of God in my own life.

Last night, Becky and I were watching a movie (not Chariots of Fire - but I still fell asleep anyway). Titus was playing in his crib and determined to not fall asleep, so Becky finally got up and brought him in with us to watch the movie. He finally settled down, snuggled in the arms of his mother.

I leaned over him and gave him an eskimo kiss (rubbed noses). This is something I've done with Titus since he was born. Titus was almost asleep, but as my face neared his and my nose touched his, he began to smile. And, as we rubbed noses, he cooed with glee. Becky looked at me and sayed "He knows it's you - He loves when you do that".

And, what a beautiful picture of joy of a son in the presence of his father. And, I thought this morning as I was walking, when God draws near to me, do I smile? Do I feel his presence? Do I enjoy the pleasure of God's company? When God hid Moses in the cleft of the rock and passed by - did Moses feel pressured for being in a tight spot - or did he marvel and pleasure that he was in the presence of God.

Just like Titus, I want to revel in the presence of my Father.

God made me ____________ (Fill in the blank) and when I _____________, I feel His pleasure.

1 comment:

Breenette said...

I have loved this post more than you can imagine! Thank you for the smile...and the tears. Great post!