Sunday, November 9, 2008

Becky's Surprise: Part 2

Becky was working the Neath the Wreath show in Plano this weekend with our friends at The Hollywood Ranch. And, the 4 older boys went camping with their Nana and Aunt A, so Titus and I decided to paint the kitchen.

This wasn't too big of surprise since we have had 4 paint swatches painted on the wall in the kitchen for the last 2 weeks, but everyone decided they liked the green. I liked the green, but thought it might be a little too light, so "I" decided to go a shade "darker."

I honestly feel the guys in the paint department at Lowes should issue certain warnings with some paint colors before choices are made since paint is not a returnable item. Warnings such as

"Did your wife pick out this color?"

"Does your wife know how bright this color is?"

"Are you painting an entire room this bright or just using it as an accent?"

"Are you sure you don't want to try a sample first?"

And last of all
"What's your back-up plan?"

But thinking that I knew what I was doing, I barged head purchasing two gallons of "Gilded Pesto" green. As I started the first coat, I thought, "Gee, that's a little bright", but knowing that paint always dries darker, I forged on and painted the kitchen with the first coat.

Becky came in that night and raved about it - she LOVED it - (ever the supporting wife).

The next morning, prior to leaving for work, she walked in and said "What do you think about the color?" I could tell by the tone that the expressed LOVE from the night before had changed to FEAR.

I went to the kitchen and after my eyes adjusted to the eye-popping, neon-blaring green, came to the same conclusion that Becky did. It's really hard to describe, but overnight, this green had invovled into an incredible-hulk shade of pulsating green. There was nothing "gilded pesto" about it. I told Becky something must be done or people or going to laugh. Of course, I could always blame it on the children since they are the ones who really liked the green.

So, Titus and I went back to Lowes. Fortunately, another paint guy was there - one older, more mature, and full of advice. We went with "Olive Grove" this time. And, after 12 hours and 2 coats of Olive Grove, we now have a green kitchen. Becky came in last night and again declared "I LOVE IT". And then she said "it's a little more apple green than olive" . . . (sigh.)

As I told her this morning, next time I have a whole day and 2 gallons of paint, we can do it again. If anything, we are definitely ready for Christmas!

Next - is the downstairs bath. Becky has picked out Regal Plum. Please Lord, don't let it be bright!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Titus, you are so blessed to have Godly parents who love you so much. I came across your blog when I searched: Nursing home, MDCP. We also have a special need kid at home, and we will also choose the same nursing home to go to....now sill working on the paperwork/forms. Thank you for your parents wonderful testimony, very encouraging. may God bless you and your family.