Sunday, November 2, 2008

Seventeen Weeks

Tonight we completed our Growing Kids God's Way class. As many of you know, we have facilitated classes for the last 9 years and are key couples in the Dallas area for Growing Families. We were incredibly blessed (again) with a great class of committed, eager-to-learn, and teachable parents for the last 17 weeks.

As always, Becky and I learn more from leading the class and are convicted in the many areas we need to work on in our parenting with our kids. And, as leaders, we were so challenged by this class to really take our discusions to a deeper level - to not just train an action, but to reach the heart of our child.

As I closed the class out tonight, I reminded them that as parents we can not lead our children any further than we ourselves are willing to go. I can train my children in first-time obedience, but more importantly, they need to see me, their earthly father, practice submission and obedience to his Heavenly Father. And that, is much easier said than done. But I want my boys to see that living a life out loud for God is not a "some time" thing, but a daily thing. I want my boys to know that our training on "good, better, best" is not something we do so that they will be "good" kids, but we do it so others will see God living in us.

So, to Brett & Brennan, Shane & Malissa, Hillary and Chris, Jennifer & Jakob, Amy & Mike, and Dan & Marci, thanks for your commitment. We love you guys!

No comments: