Friday, January 30, 2009

Friday Night


They did not have to re-intubate Titus on the ventilator last night or this morning. Instead, they changed the mask of the BiPAP to a larger, face mask instead of just one for the nose. He still isn't real happy with it, but he's learning to adjust to it.

I checked in at the hospital at 4:30pm for weekend duty and Becky has gone home for the weekend. She is a saint for staying up her 24x7 for the last 2 weeks. She is glad to be home and spend some time with the boys, and Titus and I are geared up for Super Bowl Weekend. (GO Cardinals!)

After I arrived, they stopped all his pain meds to see how he would adjust. He's trying to go to sleep, but moaning a bit. I think it's due to the face mask (since he little hands are trying to pull it off), but sleep is winning out. He needs to rest a bit.

They may try to take him off the BiPAP tomorrow and see how he does again. If he can stay off for 48 hours and maintain his CO2 levels and such, we can go home. But, we will just have to wait and see. As we've stated, Titus re-writes the book and does things in his own time.

Dad's surgery to repair his pins went fine this afternoon. He's in the ICU for the next 24 hours and then back to a room for another day. They may be able to move him back to rehab by Monday.

And, our friend Ethan's surgery is complete. His mom just stopped by to say he is back in his room. Surgery was very long today, very complicated, and they found lots of infection and things to repair around his heart once they got in. As she stated, it confirmed they made the right decision to do surgery, but he has a lot of healing to do. Please continue your prayers for them. In the midst of their day, they just stopped by to ask if I wanted dinner.

Honestly, that blows me away. Here's a family that has spent the entire day on pins and needles waiting on the outcome of a major open-heart surgery on their son, and they just got the go ahead to go back and see him after surgery, and they stop first to see if I want dinner. What a testimony of selflessness. It shames to think of all the times in the rush of my day and my own selfish push to get my way, to get me first, to make my items a priority, that we are called to "love one another". It's easy to love the ones we know, to love the ones who don't bother us, to love others when we ourselves are comfortable. But the Bible doesn't say love within these parameters, or love when you feel like it, or love those like yourselves. It's just a simple "love one another." So in an antiseptic hospital room, with the gentle hum of the BiPAP, surrounded by tubes, I'm reminded that even though I may be a selfish-melancholy-let-me-sit-in-the-dark-and-don't-talk-to-me mood, I need to love others, seek outside my self and my situation, and look for opportunities to love.

No comments: