Monday, May 11, 2009

Poo

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men . . .
Col. 3:23

As I was getting ready for work this morning, that was the verse that resonated in my head. My work has been a bit crazy lately and I have had to spend a lot of time using skills that aren't my strong point - which at times, makes it very difficult to complete a job. When it's not my skill set or I have no interest in the task, I have a hard time doing the job. And yet, that's not what I'm called to do - as the Bible says, "whatever you do, work at it with all your heart".

So, after my morning coffee, I stepped under the hot water of the shower as I began to ready for the a rainy Monday.

"Honey, the dog poo'd in Noah's room . . . and then stepped in it and walked around. Can you come clean it up?"

The water suddenly ran cold and my thoughts turned to mush as I thought - "great start to a Monday morning". And, since I was the one who encouraged Noah to take the dog to his room for the night instead of putting him in the crate, I felt responsible and disappointed all at once.

I finished showering, put on my old clothes and went upstairs to clean up the poo. One of the problems with big dogs is . . . you get big poo. As I am walking upstairs, Noah informs me to not open the door since it's behind the door. I carefully open the door just wide enough for me to slip in (which as most of you know, is still pretty wide). And since this is the dog still adjusting to new dog food, well, let's just say, it wasn't as firm as it could have been.

You would think after 12 years of changing diapers that picking up dog poo would be no big deal. But I will say now, there is a difference between dog and boy.

I scooped it up and took it to the toilet and flushed it down. And maybe because it was Monday or maybe because God really wanted to see if I would live out Col 3:23, the toilet backed up. After I cleared that out, I went back to the tasks of scrubbing out the poo embeded in the carpet.

Fortunately, I had not eaten breakfast since the gag reflex was coming on strong this morning as I worked in Noah's enclosed room. I took a deep breath and continued scrubbing. A little soap and water, then some Mr. Clean and water, and some elbow grease, and the carpet was clean again.

And that's how life is, sometimes we have some great, fun tasks to work on and sometimes there's poo that's got to be cleaned up. And sometimes we need that reminder that whatever we do, we need to work at it with all our heart.

BTW, Ginger is still a great dog who needs a loving home (maybe sooner than later). We are convinced she thinks she is still a small puppy. She really wants to be a lap dog - and let's just say, it's really cute the first time she crawls up in your lap - all 50lbs of her).

No comments: