Friday, September 11, 2009

I Remember

It's hard to work today. It's funny how you remember the smallest of details on days when significant events happen.

I was in Montvale, NJ eight years ago working at the KPMG offices as a consultant. Montvale is just a few miles outside of New York City. I had flown in the day before and remember as we drove out of Newark airport on what a beautiful clear day it was. The view of the World Trade Centers was so clear and vivid that morning that we all commented on it in the car. After flying out of Newark for several weeks, the view of the Manhattan skyline had become familiar. Little did I know that the skyline would never be the same again.

That Tuesday morning eight years ago was another beautiful, crisp Fall day. The offices had a wall of TV's in the reception area and a tv in the break room that were always on. I remember hearing the first report, then standing there watching as the 2nd plane hit. At that point, all work stopped, every tv in every conference room was turned on, and I stood side-by-side with people who had family, friends, and co-workers that worked in Manhattan or the World Trade Centers. People were frantically trying to call but the phone lines were down or were jammed. The office slowly cleared out and me and my co-workers were left there watching as the tragedy continued to unfold.

I drove into Manhattan a few days later when the bridges were re-opened. The smoke was still rising, Times Square was eerily quiet, missing posters and makeshift memorials were everywhere. For the first time that I remember, people in NYC would look deeply into your eyes as you walked by - no one seemed to be rushing around in a hurry - everyone seemed to be searching for someone.

Each year, I remember. And I don't want to forget. I don't want to forget how people came together to pray. I don't want to forget the feeling of national pride. I don't want to forget how people were open and willing to share stories and show their emotions. I don't want to forget the people who gave their lives for our country. I don't want to forget the victims in this horrific crime.

No comments: