Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Cade Turns 5

Cade turned 5 on Tuesday and what a momentous occasion it was for him. He has been so excited about his birthday for the last several weeks.

On Sunday, I told him I was taking his older brothers shopping for his birthday gift. And this is how our conversation went.

Cade: Do you know what I want?
Dad: Why don't you tell me?
Cade: I want 6 things cause I'm turning 5
(not sure where that came from but I have learned to never try to figure out the logic of a 4 yr old).
Dad: Tell me something you would like
Cade proceeds to list of the items he saw at the store. And then states, "Dad, I think I should go with you to make sure you don't forget"
Dad: Cade, I won't forget.
Cade: Did you write it down? I think you will forget.
Dad: Cade, I won't forget.
Cade: Maybe you should call me when you get to the store. Do you know our number - it's 972
Dad: Cade, I KNOW our home phone number
Cade: I still think I should go with you.

Needless to say, he stayed home while we shopping. When we go home, he beelined to me and asked "did you get what I told you?"
Dad: I'm not telling you.
Cade: Did you wrap it? What paper did you wrap it in?
Dad: Cade, you are just going to have to wait.

So Tuesday morning, he came down to kitchen to find his presents wrapped on the table - and then had to wait till dinner to open them. But the sheer joy in his face and his gratitude was just a thrill to watch.

As I put him to bed, I told him the story of how he met us and how we brought him home. He listened ever so intently to his story. And I find it hard to believe at times that his precious, curious, funny, stubborn little boy is the same frightened and tired child we brought home 3 1/2 years ago. He is a perfect complement to his brothers. And I love how he talks non-stop when he is alone with you. I love his attention to the smallest detail. I love his hearty laugh while watching a movie. I love watching the innocence in his eyes.

And, as it goes with every birthday for Tucker and for Cade, I say a prayer for his birth mom. I pray for her comfort and peace in knowing that she made the right decision when she chose life for her boy and my son.

Cader-tot - love you so much.

1 comment:

Brad and Jessica said...

Happy Birthday Cade!
Paul, if you have a minute, could you email me? I have a question about toddler adoptions and I know you brought Cade home as a toddler.
Thanks!
JessicaCo (from Dillon)