Thursday, February 18, 2010

Awareness

Titus is showing more and more awareness and familiarity with items. It truly is amazing to see this awakening happen. He has definitely learned to show dissatisfaction when you change him from one activity that he really likes. We have learned to take his hands and sign 'all done' before picking him up and moving him so that he knows things are about to change.

But just like with other kids, there are times you do not always give a warning. The other night, Titus was playing in his light box . A light box is a pvc box that's covered on 3 sides and has toys hanging from the top - and it has a string of lights in it.  This enables Titus to reach up and find toys to play with and works his muscles in his arms. Titus had been playing in his light box for 45 minutes and it was time for dinner so I went in to bring Titus to the table. I forgot to sign 'all done' and just picked him up.

Titus arched his back, screwed up his little face, and let out a loud cry - and then proceeded to sob with big crocodile tears. And I just had to laugh. He's done this several times lately when he's been playing and we change his activity. I starting sign to him 'all done' and put him the high chair with a toy - but he grumped a few minutes to let me know he was NOT happy about being taken away from his play time.

Later that night, we were sitting on the sofa watching American Idol. Titus was in my lap (grinding his teeth which just puts me on edge). Noah and Aidan went to get ice cream and brought me a bowl. As soon as the bowl was in my hand, Titus started arching his back and trying to look up at me and licking his lips. He looked just like a little bird who wants the worm from his mother. We have given him drops of ice cream before - and he has quite the sweet tooth. He must have smelled the flavor of the ice cream and wanted to be sure that I knew he wanted some. I put a drop on his tongue, he smiled, smacked his lips, and then did his squeal. And as soon as that drop was done, he wanted another and kept repeating the same motions.

They may seem like small, insignificant little events, but it's the small things we see in him that are awakening. He has a personality, he has a temper, and he's showing us he is cognitive. And at the end of the day, when we are tired and worn out, we lay him in his bed, and he grins real big, puts his hands up to touch my face, and I know that all the work, all the therapy, all the effort is worth it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is growing so! He is becoming a little boy & it is beautiful to watch. God is gracious to allow you to watch him bloom & discover his world. That boy is such an example of Faith & Trust. He has so much trust in you, Becky, & the boys to lead, guide & care for his needs. You all are an example of how the Savior cares for each of us. I wish I had faith & trust like your son so freely gives.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this journey with us! You have strengthened my faith and trust as I see you place faith in action. It was fun to talk with him a couple of Sundays ago. He is growing so fast!