Monday, November 8, 2010

Orphan Sunday

This past Sunday, our church emphasized Orphan Sunday. Becky and I were asked, along with the boys, to share in KidzWorship about our story of adoption.

Saturday night at dinner, we were talking with the family about what we were going to say. I looked at Cade and told him, 'We are going to talk about adopting you'.

To which Cade thought a moment, then looked up at me and stated, "I thought I already was adopted?"


That boy - he takes everything SO literally.
So I corrected myself and told him -"We are going to talk about WHEN we adopted you!"

Now, I can talk about adoption and how it's changed our life all day. But to talk to 1st thru 5th graders about adoption, I realized I had to use language and tell the story in a way that they would understand. And, I really wanted to include Aidan and Noah and let them share their view.

And, we had a great time. It was fun to share as a family and heartwarming to hear Aidan and Noah talk about the affect it has had on their lives. And, my prayer is that out of the several hundred kids who heard us talk, the seed was planted in their hearts that some day they will expand their own families through adoption. And they will realize that being part of family doesn't mean that they all have to look alike or have the same DNA, but that God puts families together in all sorts of ways and with all sorts of colors.

1 comment:

Brent McWilliams said...

Thanks for the powerful witness you give us as to the power of God and how he calls us to be family to those we might least expect.