Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I'm in the UK, Everyone else is in MI

I have been up for the last 36 hours straight. For those that know me, you will know that's next to impossible. But after a 3 hour bus ride (to go 90 miles - thank you sweetie for encouraging me to take the bus from South Bend to Chicago!), to a 2 hour layover, to a 7 hour flight, followed by a full day of work and then dinner, I should be collapsing into bed. Instead, I'm a little wired and writing on the blog.

First of all, the GFI (Growing Families International) Conference was absolutely fantastic. I can't thank you enough for all the prayers. Becky and I had a blast (as we always do) teaching 2 seminars together and then it was great fun to teach the "Training your Kids on Technology: Raising Daniels in a Technological Babylon" with Hank O. Considering the two of us had only discussed our outlines and formats over the phone twice, it went seamlessly and the feedback was good. I do think we scared a few parents though with all that is out there, but it seriously comes down to Dan. 1:8 "Daniel resolved to not defile himself . . . " and that is what we have to train our children to do in a world where technology will be omnipresent in their existence.

And, as usual, we had a super-awesome time seeing so many of our friends and parent-supporters at conference. It was so encouraging to be with friends and we can't wait till Family Camp on Labor Day to see them again (and then again at the mini-conference in Houston in November). And, Titus did great at the conference. He slept when he was suppose to sleep, played when he was suppose to play, and charmed the hearts of all who saw him. He does have a stye on his right eye that was giving him so problems, but his little smile and babbling warmed everyone over.

So, after conference was over, Becky and I drove from Cleveland back to Niles, MI and the next day, I caught the plane from Chicago to the UK. I'm hear all week, while Beck and the boys have gone to Detroit to see friends. We will all convene back in Dallas on Saturday. I can't wait for us all to be back home together again with Quita and the fish and our own beds. Meanwhile, we are having fun (well - as much fun as I can have in the UK). I have a board meeting dinner tomorrow night which should be interesting to say the least. I'm not sure the Brits know how to take my humor at times. And they are absolutely stunned when they find out I have 5 boys and that Becky homeschools. It's one of those moments you want to take a picture because it just dumbfounds people and they are at a loss of words, but they are trying to say something nice (and I just laugh). After a year of working on the relationship with the UK though, we are making tremendous strides and today felt good to walk in the office and be genuinely welcomed. The office here is great to work with (even if I do shock them every now and then).

Thanks for all the prayers as we have been traveling.

No comments: