Thursday, January 3, 2008

It's a Happy New Year!

Thank you! Thank you! THANK YOU for all the prayers this past week. Titus is doing great now that the anti-biotics have kicked in. We are on day 4 of a 7 day treatment and Titus is back to his old self - alert and happy. Right now they anticipate maybe next Tues/Wednesday before he can go home (but I will believe it when I place him in his crib at home).

They have also prepared us that infection is very common after this type of surgery and to be prepared for another infection in the next 10 weeks before they take the jaw device out. Just knowing that helps us to be better prepared (of course, it would have helped to have known that a few weeks ago - but I must have missed that detail in the 5-page medical release I signed for surgery). We also talked with friends of ours who had the same surgery with their daughter (same surgeon) and they experienced the same things.

I will say though, last Monday was probably one of the worst days we had gone through besides the days after he was born. It was just devastating to see him all hooked up and lifeless after he had made so much progress. Here it was, New Year's Eve, a time of celebration and I was full of pity and doubt. I sat at Little Caesars Pizza at 4pm waiting for my sausage pizza to be ready, puddled in a chair, doubting if my son would ever come home. But I came back to the statement I have shared with many of you before - "How big is your Faith - How BIG is your God!" And, again, I had to leave my son in God's hands.

Just so you know how God answers your prayers, let me share this with you. Titus has "curvy" veins (non-technical/non-medical term - but it's what the nurses have called it). Because of this, they generally have a difficult time putting an IV into him. We've seen them stick him more than 30 times trying to get an IV started (not an easy thing to watch over and over). And, once they get an IV into him, the vein has always collapsed after 1 day. When I asked you to pray for his IV this past Monday, God specifically answered that prayer for our little boy. They had no problems this time and the vein has not collapsed after 4 days. The nurses are amazed, but I know the reason why - our God is a God of details. And no prayer is too small for Him.

We are so thankful for the prayers that have kept us going. His breathing has improved dramatically and you can see how much his jaw has moved in the last 2 weeks. We are able to hold him again on our visits and do all the same things with him that we were doing before the infection. He's up to 7lbs, 4 oz. and was 7 weeks old yesterday. The nurses also comment on how well he communicates. He fusses/cries when he wants something and as soon as he gets their attention, he stops. He knows exactly what he is doing!

Blessings to all and Happy New Year!

No comments: