Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Surgery Moved to TODAY

Since Saturday, we have been waiting for Dr. Renard, the pediatric surgeon, to come by and schedule the Nissen fundoplication surgery for Titus. We didn't expect him to show up on Sunday, but either Becky or I have spent a lot of time at the hospital the last two days waiting for him. The good news is that we have one of the best pediatric surgeons around - the bad news is, when your the best, your in a lot of demand.

Last night, I left the hospital at 7pm during shift change. I was 1/2 way home when the pediatrician called to let me know that Dr. Renard was on the floor doing a procedure on another patient and would be stopping by Titus room in the next 10-15 minutes. I u-turned and broke all land-speed records to get back to the hospital in time. Dr. Renard had already placed Titus on his surgery schedule (thankfully) and we learned this morning that surgery was scheduled for Thursday at 3pm.

But as we know, people pray, God hears, and mountains move. This morning, Dr. Renard called and told his staff to move everything on Thursday to TODAY. So, Titus will have his nissen surgery in just a few hours.

Titus is breathing over the vent (which is good - it's turned down very low), his blood gasses are good, and his lungs are clear. After surgery, they will observe and then extubate him off the vent (hopefully in the next 24 hours). We do not have a timeframe of when he will be able to come home, but it should be soon as long as he remains healthy.

As I stated previously, the last 2 weeks have been hard. Yesterday, I broke down in tears every time I was driving away from the hospital. As I sobbed in my car and cried out to God, I truly again felt so alone, so despondent, so broken. I hate seeing my son lying there in a bed, with so many tubes and wires that I can't hold him, and there's nothing that I can do to make it better.

And today, hearing this news, I have hope again, I have joy, I feel like we are back on the path. God is good, and as someone told me (or wrote in a poem, or cross-stitched in a pillow or put in a country-western song), "you can't appreciate the morning light if you haven't been through the dark of night."

Psalm 30:5 "weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning."

Please pray for the following:
  • Titus will have a successful surgery and quick recovery
  • Dr. Renard and his staff as they perform the surgery
  • Titus breathing will remain strong and his body will be clear from all infections
  • Becky and I for rest, good health for Aidan, Noah, Tucker, & Cade

No comments: