Friday, January 15, 2010

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaa

A year ago, Titus' cochlear implant was turned on. For the last year, he's had speech therapy and we make sure his cochlear is on and attached as much as possible during the day. One of the things the therapist has worked on with Titus is singing songs with hand motions. And we are starting to see Titus respond and do the hand motions when we sing the songs. Now, it's not every time, and his responses are still very slow, but you can see him concentrating and working hard at it.

And this week, he repeated 'Mmmmmmmaaaaaaaa' after the therapist said it. He did it again that night with Becky. He doesn't do it everytime - sometimes we may say 'mmmaaaaa' 20 times before he tries to repeat, but you can see him concentrating, putting his lips together - and when he does do it, it's one of the sweetest sounds I've ever heard.

There are times when you begin to question if all the therapy, all the work, all the effort will ever make a difference. But then I remember, I live in a microwave world where everything happens so fast. I forget that progress takes work, effort and time. I forget the the destination is not always the prize, but it's the journey to get there that will teach me incredible things. And at times, I forget to notice the small things.

So, I'm thankful for a one-syllable sound. A sound that takes work and effort and lots of repetition. A sound that I have to listen very carefully for or I might miss it. But just like the voice of God, it's there - sometimes very quiet and sometimes when I'm not paying attention I miss it. But it is there - a soft, sweet sound.

2 comments:

To God be the glory... said...

This was a blessing to me today. I fractured my T-12 vertebrae sledding on December 30th. I am just having to let it heal. We looked into some "microwave" procedures but found out 46 is to young to get those done. I was glad to hear that I was too young for something. I am definitely to old to sled anymore.

Anonymous said...

What a great reminder for us all to stop and listen to the soft sweet sounds we might miss everyday if we hurry too fast. Thank you!

Jennifer

CA