Monday, February 9, 2009

Life is Precious

As I sit here, Titus is crying. He's been pretty cranky for the last hour. It's just one of the side effects of withdrawals from the pain meds along with the low fever. The medicine we are giving him to help with the withdrawals will calm his nerves in a few minutes, but it just so uncharacteristic of him to cry. He's never really been a cranky baby.

But as I stated a year ago, the sound of his cry is still precious to me. I will always remember the day he was born waiting for him to take that breath and cry, and it never came. In fact, he didn't cry for weeks after he was born.

And, while he is crying, Aidan is singing while listening to Chris Tomlin on his MP3 player. I think he forgets with his ear buds in that we can hear him. Again, another precious sound to hear my oldest singing praise songs.

And, then there's Tucker and Cade who I put to bed over an hour ago, and they are giggling/talking in their bed. They are so funny to listen to and hear their little conversations about life with each other. But boys, I told you once to be quiet!

I know all this noise would drive some people crazy, and believe me, there are days it seems out of control, but tonight, it is a precious noise.

You see, Becky just told me some sad news. One of the families in the PICU this past week that we had met lost their little son last Saturday. It was their 3rd child, an unexpected blessing. They are from out-of-town and had brought their son back from heart surgery, but complications arose after the surgery and he passed away. My heart is breaking for them. As much time as we have spent in the NICU and PICU, and as much as we know that it happens, this is the first time we knew one of the families.

So, tonight, I count my blessings. My boys are all home, all in bed (yet, not all quiet), but all safe and sound tonight. And I realize, life is precious. It's slightly ironic - it was a hard day at work filled with difficult and at times, very critical conversations. I came home all tensed up about it, but now, that all seems so insignificant. And my mind goes to Psalm 121
I lift up my eyes to the hills— where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip— he who watches over you will not slumber.
My God is not asleep, He knows, He comes, He helps, He controls, He watches.

Becky was up at the hospital today for a checkup with Titus, so she ran up to visit the other family we were close with. She got to meet their son Ethan who is recovering from staph infection and open heart surgery. It was the first time Becky got to meet and talk with Ethan. He was sitting up in a chair. God is doing a great work of healing in his body and I wanted to provide you an update since I had requested prayer for him last week.

And, last quick update is on Dad. I got to visit with him on Saturday. He is off of oxygen, the neck brace is gone since the x-rays show the fracture in his neck is healed, and they have been getting Dad to sit up in bed. Today, they got him in a wheelchair and he spent 35 minutes wheeling around. Dad will have to spend up to 3 hours at a time in the wheelchair before they will send him to rehab at Zale-Lipshy. Now that Dad has a goal, I'm sure he will try to get there as fast as he can.
Dad, I'm proud of you - and I know you are wheeling as fast as you can to get out of there! That day is coming.


Well, Titus has finally gone to sleep. And Vanessa (his incredible angel of a night nurse) will be here any minute to watch over him tonight. I really need to head to bed, but need to finish my notes for tomorrow night. Becky has asked me to speak to her GEMS tomorrow night (the moms always bring the dads for February for a Valentine's party). My topic is "Planned Parenthood: What's your real life plan for raising your children?"

No comments: