Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Where's Moses?

Cade now has the flu (type a) and an ear infection, Tucker is broken out in welts, Titus is still having some apnea issues, and Becky/I are exhausted.

Is there a plague that I missed in Exodus? Am I living in Egypt? Where's Moses?

Cade is now on Day 3 of the flu but we found out yesterday he also has an ear infection. Poor guy - he's just miserable. And the ear infection is affecting his hearing a bit (Cade is deaf in one ear and the infection is in the other), so he's frustrated. He is on a host of meds now.

Tucker is basically over the flu, but now has a welts on his back and stomach. It's not the same rash that Titus had and it looks like Benadryl is managing it.

They completed the 24 hour EEG test on Titus yesterday - and they didn't really detect/find anything out. They did state that he is NOT having seizures. They also did an upper GI test to see if he might be refluxing enough to affect things. Titus had a nissen fundoplication surgery last year. This is to prevent reflux, but sometimes if it's too loose, reflux can still happen. But, the results came back that he is NOT refluxing.

Today, they will start a 4 channel sleep study starting at 5pm. They just aren't sure why he is having these issues. On the good side, his rash is now gone and he's happy/content - and cutting another tooth on the bottom. So, it looks like 2 teeth coming in on top and one more on the bottom. He was full of smiles last night when I was with him.

The PICU is full. And as Becky looks around, there are some really sick kids up there. Becky has had the chance to talk and pray with some of the parents in the hall. We so remember the first time we walked in there and being asked to wait in the hall as a swarm of nurses and doctors rush in to work on your child. It is a totally helpless feeling. And I am so thankful that I have a wife who will go out and talk to them, give them a hug, and pray for them. She is such an example to me that ministry never stops even when we are suffering ourselves.

Of course, these days, the PICU is like a 2nd home to us. We have such a comfort level with the doctors, nurses, and respiratory therapists. We tell them all the time we appreciate them, but I want to do it again. We truly thank the Lord for each of you and the care you provide for Titus and for us.

Last night after we got the call about Tucker's welts and Cade's ear infection and I was about to leave the hospital, I told Becky "this too shall pass". And as I drove home, my prayer was "let my children go - they are being plagued by sickness and suffering and it's gone on and on. So teach me what I need to learn, break me down and restore me back and let my children go."

The road is long, the road is rough, but we can't stop the journey since we aren't there yet. There will be an oasis in the desert, and a time to rest from the journey, but we aren't there yet.

Pressing on,
Paul

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Titus, Paul, and Becky (and crew)-
I am praying for you here in South Africa. I'm so sorry for your challenge this week. My heart goes out to you all. I love you.
I walk through an AIDS clinic today and played with kids infected by HIV. Broke my heart but reminded me that our God is suffering God. He is always with us- and especially with us in our suffering. He is all we need. Praying... Jeff

The Henrie Family said...

It seems I live for the updates you post. Cara and Ella love praying for Titus so it is important that I check the blog daily to give them an update. WOW! One thing I have learned is to never pray for brokeness unless you are serious and after keeping up with your life I now know not to say "bring on the rain" unless you are ready for a downpour! IWe are praying for all of you! You are so wonderful at keeping all things in perspective.

Anonymous said...

Once again, you guys are amazing and you are the true example of being joyful amidst your trials. WE are praying for you and Becky, the boys,and precious Titus! Much Love and Thanks for your family!
Stephanie