Thursday, March 26, 2009

Choices

We were at dinner last night with friends. As I was getting our chips and salsa (yes - we were at Tin Star - I'm sure that's not a surprise to anyone), there were two pre-teen kids talking. They were having dinner with their moms and were getting the drinks for the table. As they were walking back to the table, I overheard this conversation.


The boy (about 10 years old) says to the girl, "My mom wants me to try smoking a cigarette so I can see how bad it is. I keep telling her I don't want to do it, but she wants me to try it so I'll know".

Wow - is that what parenting pre-teens has come to?

Well, mom - if I may, can I ask you a few questions?

What are you going to do if he does like it? Are you going to let him keep smoking?

Are you going to do the same thing with alcohol? I could see you drinking your glass of wine, so at what age are you going to let him have a drink?

And what about teaching your child about sex and relationships? What choices are you going to provide to your children in that arena?

Maybe we need to go back to Genesis and remember what happened in the Garden. God the Father created an incredible place for Adam and Eve to live, provided them with all their needs along with one caveat - do not eat from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. And life was good.

And then the serpent came along. It wasn't God the Father that tempted Eve it was Satan. The Father provided boundaries, guidelines and life; Satan provided temptation, lies, and death.

So, then why as parents should we tempt our children with things we know that are evil? Yes, our children will make choices, but should we as the parents be the ones encouraging them? It just amazes when I see parents playing the role of the serpent instead of the protector and the provider.

So, I pray this little boy stands by what he knows is right and his mom doesn't undermine that teaching.

I'll get off my soap box now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sucked my thumb constantly and, when 12, my mom asked me to "try" a cigarette with her instead. Needless to say, I started smoking at that age and, now, at 30, smoke AND suck my thumb (usually when sleeping). Not good....