Monday, March 30, 2009

The Little Things

There are times, it's the little things you miss that you didn't realize you took for granted.

For example, a full night's sleep is a blessing. The nights we know Vanessa is caring for Titus, we know we can rest peacefully. But, I never realized how much I took for granted the luxury of just falling in bed to sleep with no alarms going off.

And going to church - another little thing that I didn't realize how much I took that freedom for granted. These days, I only make it to worship service 1-2 times a month. One of us is generally staying home with Titus (or if we take Titus, one of us sits outside with him). I am so glad our church broadcasts the service live on the web on Sunday mornings, but it still doesn't replace the experience of corporate worship, of being there in person, of worshipping with the body of Christ.

This last Sunday (after a rough night with Titus), I was so excited to be in worship, but so exhausted after the sleepless night (which makes me ashamed of nodding off a bit.) I never want to take for granted the freedom I have of corporate worship - to be in God's house with God's people praising Him. And yet I realize, that for years of never missing church on Sunday or Wednesday nights, that I have really taken that freedom for granted. It's not until you lose the ability to do what you have always done that you realize how much you did it without thinking about it. And, when you think about it, worship is something that should never be taken for granted. We were born for worship, we were made for worship and yet, sadly, too many times we just show up. Sad to say, but I am just now coming into the realization of how often I have just showed up.

I Peter 2:9 states "But you are a chosen people . . . a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light."

Lord, remind me again of my purpose to declare your praise.

And while I'm on the subject of worship - I want to thank a few people.

Curtis R. - you are the best Bible teacher I have sat under. You make me think, you challenge me, your passion is contagious, and you are always prepared. I so appreciate the time you spend preparing (and now blogging) so that we as a class will learn. I so appreciate your openness and honesty.

Myron W. - You usher me into the throne room of Jesus each and every Sunday with your music, your scripture, the videos, the entire experience. One of the things I have commented the most about our music on Sundays is that it's not a production, but a worship experience. Thank you (and your awesome staff) for your preparation, your humbleness, and your willingness to serve. I miss singing in the choir - and one of these days will get back there.

Pastor Jeff - When we joined FBC, McKinney several years ago, we had several objectives in choosing a church. One of them was that we had a pastor who was real and attainable - not just a man on the screen or behind the pulpit (or bistro table), but a man who would be real - specifically for my boys. You have reached out to our family and shown my boys the character of a humble servant-leader. You are a true shepherd. Your passion for your flock is so real. You are a man of vision. Very rarely do men of vision see all that they dream realized. My prayer is that you will see those dreams realized and that your legacy lives on for generations to come. And Happy Anniversary for your 10 years at FBC.

No comments: