Tuesday, August 18, 2009

MultiFocus

It was finally time for it to happen. After years of wearing my glasses at the end of my noise, or carrying them around constantly, it came down to either putting them on a chain around my neck (not acceptable) or getting new glasses. It was no surprise when they stated they would be putting my into multifocal lenses (that's a new way of saying tri-focals).

And you know you're a bit old when you are actually looking FORWARD to getting new glasses since we all know my arms have gotten way too short.

Two weeks ago, after getting off the plane from India, I went to pick up my new glasses. The technician told me it would take at least 2 weeks to get use to the new lenses. And after 5 days, I have to agree. I find myself "searching" for focus and then locking in once I find it. But, I amazed at the clarity of things that I was missing before.

And this has led me to thinking about my own focus on things: how nearsighted is my world? It's easy to get into the trap of only looking at those things in my immediate area and concern. It's easy to have a selfish view of the world. It's easy to only focus on the one child in the family with special needs and to forget their are 4 other boys who also have needs.

Dear Lord, May I view the world as you see it - a world of hurt and opportunity, a world of pain and joy, a world where there is so much need and you have blessed me with so much I could give, a world outside of my self. Remind me to just not focus on the little things right in front of me, but to also see all that surrounds me.

No comments: