Friday, August 7, 2009

Timing

Last night, Becky wanted to go for a quick walk around the block. But I piped up that I would go with her, and then before you knew it, we had two little boys who wanted to write their scooters with us.

After what seemed like 30 minutes of getting shoes on and getting scooters out of the garage (side-tracked by taking the garage bins out to the street for pick up on Friday morning), we finally started on our walk.

Tucker and Cade whizzed by us, amazing us with their agility and balance. One of our neighbors drove down the street and waved, and we kept walking, enjoying the gentle breeze of the summer evening.

A few seconds later, the same neighbor drove back by and pulled over.

"I've been meaning to come over and talk to you - how do you feel about Medical City Dallas?"

Since most of Titus' doctors are at Medical City and we have spent literally months there for the last 21 months, we answered "love it".

And then she told us that her husband, our neighbor - Bill, had just been diagnosed with leukemia and had been checked into Medical City for chemotherapy and treatment.

As Becky gave her information on Medical City and a friend's number to call who has recently gone through this, she stopped and prayed with her.

And that's when it hit me on timing - a few minutes earlier or later and we would have missed her on the street. And that's when you know, God's timing is always perfect. He's never late - He has set the appointments of life where we have a chance to be a witness, to be a minister, to show we care.

And now that we know, we have the responsibility to pray and to assist. As I told her, anytime day or night, knock on our door if you need something. Vanessa may answer if she's there, but do not hesitate to call on us. And, we told her we would pray and I would like to make that request of you also; I ask that you pray for Bill and Cindy as this new, unexpected journey has taken them down a path they weren't prepared for.

On another note, Noah just got home from camp. I asked him what was the first thing he wanted to do when he got home (thinking he would say "take a nap"), but he said "Dad - what do you think - I'm gonna take a shower!" I'm glad he will have accomplished that before I get home. But he was ecstatic and bubbling over with excitement about the fun he had at camp.

Titus has had a good week. His stander and new chair are doing wonders for him. Many of you also saw my posts on Facebook this week that our day nurse, Lisa, fell down the back stair case at the house on Wednesday. She did not break in any bones, but she is still in pain and very, very sore. Lisa is "one of the family" and when she hurts, we hurt. Please continue to pray for her healing and pain relief.

Last of all, I head out to India tomorrow for a week of work. I have absolutely no idea what to expect from this trip, but I'm sure it will be incredibly eye-opening for all the senses. I have to say, that as a young kid growing up in a small south Texas town, I never dreamed I would have a career that would take me all over this world.

2 comments:

To God be the glory... said...

We serve a wounderful God.

Cheryl said...

Hello,

It is so nice when we realize quickly why God allowed things to happen at a certain time and we can see God working in us and through us in our daily lives.

Sometimes I wish that was true all of the time. I wish that I knew why God allows trials to happen so that the trials would be easier to accept at the time, but sometimes we have to be patient and wait.

Some answers we won't ever receive until we get to Heaven and by then the answers probably won't matter to us.

So glad to read that Titus is doing well with his stand up chair. He is adorable and seemed to be very happy in it when I saw the pictures of him on your blog.

With Hope,
Cheryl