Monday, August 3, 2009

Off to Camp

"Noah, time to get up. It's 5am". I quietly walked through his room careful to step on any Legos that might be on the floor.

"I'm ready" Noah stated. He popped out of bed, already dressed.

Why am I not surprised that he slept in his clothes last night.

He came downstairs and read the newspaper with me while fixing his pop-tart and giving me time to drink one cup of coffee.

I look at my 11-year old, second-born son. He is getting so tall and yet still maintains that child-like innocence. He towers over his friends, and can spend ours discussing the details of all 6 Star Wars, or how to build anything with Legos.

"Go tell mom good-bye, and let's put your stuff in the car"

He runs off to snuggle with mom in bed and then we put his suitcase and sleeping bag in the car.

The ride to the church is mostly quiet. I provided him with a quick verbal lesson about how to roll-up his dirty clothes and put them back in his suitcase, along with a reminder to hang his towel up to dry and to please "PLEASE" (for the sake of the rest of the campers) take a shower everyday.

As we arrive, we stop the car and pray.

If there is one thing I want my boys to know as they grow up, it's that their dad prays for them. And that they hear their dad pray in their ear, specifically when they are facing something new or different. We did it Friday night before Noah walked out on stage for his program and this morning, before we got out of the van, we did it again.

"Father, watch over my son this week while he is at camp. I ask for safety and protection, but I also ask you show him great and might things through the word of God this week. Remind him to reach out to those looking for a friend, help those who need assistance, look for ways to serve when the need arises, and have fun. And, remind him to take a shower everyday - just cause he's swimming twice a day doesn't keep the boy clean. Thank you Lord for a boy who steps up, goes outside his comfort zone to try new things, and is a friend to all."

With Noah gone this week, and with Ashley, Morgan, and Leighton back home with their family, it's going to seem very quiet with only 4 kids in the house. And, Tucker and Cade are spending the night at MeeMaw's and PeePaw's, which only leaves Aidan and Titus tonight. It's going to be very, very quiet.

No comments: